|Coast2Coast Sweden was started by Jörgen Johansson (left) and Jonas Hållén, who have acted as organisers and guides since 2013.|
This is Coast2Coast Sweden
Coast2Coast Sweden is perfect if you:
- Want to train for really long hikes. Maybe for The Camino de Santiago or the Pacific Crest Trail.
- Want to learn more about lightweight and ultralight backpacking, as described in Jörgen's books about Smarter Backpacking
- Want to develop gear strategies for long hikes
- Want to experience and practice hiking 35-40 kilometers per day
- Want to develop their food system for long hikes
- Want to test doing a long hike in good, safe and experienced company
- Want to test doing a long hike on your own and still enjoy the company of others in the evenings
- Want to walk through a lush, green countryside studded with red cottages
- Want to walk a trail without steep hills and deep valleys
- Want to challenge yourself mentally and physically
- Want to walk through a beautiful part of Sweden, the area of Astrid Lindgrens classical books
- Want to have a holiday experience you will never forget
- Want to have a lot of laughs
|Coast2Coast Sweden goes through forest on small roads in many places|
The Jonas and Jörgen system at Coast2Coast Sweden
If you want to walk fast, take few breaks and push yourself you join Jonas and his gang and arrive in camp in late afternoon. Strong feet, light shoes and a light pack are essential in this group.
If you want to take your time you join Jörgen and his group. Here you walk for about 50 minutes and rest for about 10 minutes every hour. Eating snacks, drinking water and letting your feet see the sun is what you do during breaks. You stop and cook a meal for lunch and arrive in camp in the evening. "We get there when we get there" is the mantra.
Walking with Jörgen also means that you can share the knowledge about lightweight backpacking that he has poured into his books about Smarter Backpacking (to be found on Amazon).
You can also alternate between the groups or walk in between them sometimes. And sometimes not. It is up to you. There is a lot of freedom and we do not hike in a single line. Everybody is responsible for themselves and even if Jonas and Jörgen will help and guide you, they will not carry your pack :-)
|In other places we walk through a countyside with houses, farms and meadows in bloom|
Coast2Coast Sweden is probably not for you...
- If you are not used to hiking hiking 20 kilometers per day with a pack
- If you have a backpack that weighs more than 10 kilos before you add food and water
- If you have never slept outside in a tent or a tarp
- If you do not have a sleeping bag rated at 0 degrees Celsius
- If you are not prepared to sleep outside in a tent or a tarp most of the nights
- If you are not ready to carry and cook all the food you need in order to stay in good spirits
- If you want a packaged tour with tour leaders that cater to your every whim
- If you want spectacular mountain scenery with steep hills and deep valleys
- If you do not like a lot of laughs
Here are some comments about Coast2Coast Sweden from participants: